Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I was wrong about Transport Stream Audio on PS3

I'd recently written that sound playback is screwed up on PS3 for MPEG2-TS files. It turns out I was wrong...its a "feature" not a bug. I got the following from Sony:

The PLAYSTATION(R)3 computer entertainment system will only support video files saved under the the
following formats.

  • - Memory Stick Video Format (MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC), H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile AAC LC)
  • - MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
  • - MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
  • - MPEG-2 TS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2)
  • - AVI (Motion JPEG (Linear PCM), Motion JPEG (u-law))
  • - AVCHD (.m2ts)

Notice that Dolby Digital audio is supported in program streams, but unsupported in transport streams. So that is why my TS files are missing audio occasionally. This STILL doesn't explain why some valid MPEG-2 PS files are choppy and not working. I have posted a clip to Sony...hopefully they will take a look at it and find the bug that causes the playback to suffer. I'll keep updates posted here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is crap tbh.
One of the main reasons I bought the PS3 was to view my mythtv recordings. I must say I'm quite dissapointed that my HD media plays back with no sound... And I haven't seen any hint from sony that they intend to fix it.