Monday, March 29, 2010

Sony makes a terrible decision: drops Linux support on PS3

Are they kidding?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/

They are removing OtherOS support for the old PS3. This was a primary selling point when I bought it, as has been documented in this blog. I have Ubuntu installed on my PS3, and now I have to decide between using Linux, or being able to play games/PSN. This is unacceptable; if this firmware update gets pushed out the door, I'm going to Sony and ask for my money back. Sony advertised this support when I bought the console; by my refusing to update, my system will effectively be a brick when it comes to gaming. I paid for a fully functioning Linux machine AND gaming console, all in one nice box. Soon I'll have only half that functionality.

I wonder if a class action lawsuit is already in the works; I should do some searching.

No comments: